Formation Environmental applies scientific principles to guide groundwater modeling analyses in support of environmental remediation, risk management, and engineering decisions.
Groundwater modeling is a valuable tool for describing technical concepts associated with groundwater flow and contaminant fate and transport, and it can be an important component of environmental problem solving. Formation Environmental takes an integrated approach to groundwater modeling, beginning with the development of a thoughtful conceptual site model built on a comprehensive evaluation of published literature and site-specific data and information. Consolidation and compilation of the relevant data and other information, including historical site features, geologic, hydrologic, and geochemical data, takes place within a geographic information system (GIS) that then serves as the foundation for geospatial and statistical analyses, visualization, and communication. In this manner, our team effectively integrates GIS with groundwater flow and contaminant transport model applications.
Formation’s modeling team has experience applying a wide range of modeling applications from simple to complex, including:
- Analytical models of saturated and unsaturated groundwater flow and contaminant transport
- Aquifer test models evaluating hydraulic properties and response
- Numerical models of saturated and unsaturated flow and contaminant transport
- Unsaturated-zone infiltration modeling and water-balance models
These capabilities have been utilized to address diverse technical issues, including:
- Integration of mining disturbance, waste rock disposal, surface water management, and reclamation in a contaminate transport model to evaluate the relative effectiveness of remedial alternatives and reclamation strategies
- Optimization of cap/cover systems to minimize infiltration to groundwater
- Model runoff volume (precipitation excess) for comparison of slope grading and storm water management alternatives and to support remedial design
- Design and optimization of groundwater extraction systems as part of a comprehensive remedy to reduce contaminated groundwater discharge to a nearby river
- Simulation of groundwater extraction scenarios and optimization pumping rates to minimize potential environmental effects